Japan Haul Part 2 of 2: Studio Ghibli!

This post is going to feature all the Studio Ghibli merchandise that I purchased in Japan! For those of you who don't know this, I am a HUGE Studio Ghibli fan. As a child, I watched Kiki's Delivery Service and Totoro all the time, and as a I grew older, I fell in love with the rest of the Studioi Ghibli films. Needless to say I was so excited when I found out I had the opportunity to go to Japan. I spent a ton of time researching the best places to purchase Studio Ghibli merchandise and so I hope this post will be useful to those who also want to buy all the Studio Ghibli merchandise they can get their hands on!

First of all, here is a little information on where to go for Studio Ghibli merchandise. I'm sure there are a lot of places in Japan that sell official Studio Ghibli merchandise, but this is just a list of where I personally went.


  1. Studio Ghibli Museum. Of course, this is one of the best places to buy Studio Ghibli merchandise. They have a huge selection and sell some things that cannot be found in any other store. For example, I saw a box of cookies and jars filled with candy, which I didn't see at any other store. In addition, the prices are reasonable and the staff is pretty helpful.  
  2. Donguri Garden located in Tokyo Skytree. This store turned out to be bigger than I thought and also had a nice selection of official Studio Ghibli merchandise. There were a ton of people on the day that I went, so it took a long time to make your way through the store. The staff was so incredibly helpful though! I really wanted to buy a specific mug (more on the mug later in this post) and didn't see any in the store. I left super disappointed and admittedly a bit upset, as this mug was one of the things I wanted to buy most from Japan. My aunt and I left the store and I couldn't stop thinking about the mug; it's a pretty iconic mug so I couldn't believe that the store doesn't sell it (then again, the Studio Ghibli Museum doesn't sell this mug at all. My aunt, who speaks fluent Japanese, asked a staff member there and she said they don't sell that particular mug). I'm pretty stubborn so I decided to go back to the store and ask one of the sales associate if they sell this mug. She says that they actually ran out of it a day or two ago and that they are still waiting for the stock to be refilled T~T I guess my disappointment showed on my face because she sweetly offered to call other branches and see if they have any left. Luckily the Donguri Garden in Tokyo Station had just a few left, and the sales associate requested that they reserve one for me! Honestly, this sales associate was so sweet and put a lot of time and effort in helping me track down this mug. Sadly I forgot her name and forgot to ask for a picture with her...I regret this so much!
  3. Donguri Garden located in Tokyo Station. My aunt and I traveled for an hour just to go to this store haha. It's a lot smaller than the Donguri Garden located in Tokyo Skytree and the merchandise sold here was pretty much the same. If you have time, I still recommend coming here because Tokyo Station has a lot of great restaurants and of course the infamous Character Street. 
  4. Gift shop in the Nasu Teddy Bear Museum. To my surprise, my aunt loves teddy bears and wanted to go to the Nasu Teddy Bear Museum. To my complete surprise, the museum actually had a special Studio Ghibli exhibit...and it was absolutely AMAZING. I'll post more details later, along with pictures, but it was breathtaking. The gift shop of course sold an incredible amount of teddy bears, but more importantly, sold a decent amount of Ghibli merchandise. I didn't buy too much from this gift shop but I still recommend stopping by to check out the Ghilbi exhibit (I think it's there for a limited time though).
Be aware that all these stores seemed to mainly feature Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service merchandise. There was also a smaller selection of Princess Mononoke, Sprited Away, and Castle in the Sky merchandise. To my surprise there was hardly any Howl's Moving Castle and Nausicca merchandise. As for all the other Studio Ghibli films, I didn't see any of their merchandise :(

In any case, on to the purchases!



 I'm not sure what these are called...film cells maybe? Or plastic posters?  In any case, I pretty much bought one of each kind. Two Japanese students kept on staring at me because I had so many in my hand! I bought a total of 5 large ones and 12 small ones. I believe the large ones were $3 each and the small ones were $2 each. I bought these at the Studio Ghibli Museum.


 I bought this mini stamp set for $8 or $12 (I can't remember...) at the gift shop in the Nasu Teddy  Bear Museum. Yes, it's overpriced, but look at how cute it is!


 This pair of socks was also purchased at the gift shop in the Nasu Teddy Bear Museum. These were about $5. I didn't see this particular pattern anywhere else.


 The packaging is so cute! :O



I bought a face towel and a pocket towel thing (not sure how to describe this; there is a pocket inside and you can put things like makeup or female hygiene products in it) at the Donguri Garden store located in Tokyo Skytree. Both items were a gift from my aunt so I don't know how exactly how much they cost. However, I would guess that the face towel is somewhere around $6 and the pocket towel thing is around $4.


 I love these plush magnets so much! I think they were about $2-3 each. I bought the Jiji and Totoro magnet at the Studio Ghibli Museum and the Catbus and the Susuwatari magnet at the Donguri Garden store in Tokyo Skytree.


 I purchased the white chibi-Totoro plush for $8 and the Kodama plush for $10. both items were purchased from the Studio Ghibli Museum. When you shake the Kodama plush, its head moves back and forth and makes a ringing bell sound!


The Radish Spirit plush and the Yakul plush were both $12 each. I bought the Radish Spirit plush from the Donguri Garden store located in Tokyo Skytree and the Yakul plush at the Studio Ghibli Museum.


When I was doing "research" on Studio Ghibli merchandise, I flipped out when I saw pictures of this particular merchandise. I immediately knew that I HAD to buy it haha. This was $20 and purchased at the Studio Ghibli Museum. Oh, and for those who are wondering, I do have a couple of Studio Ghibli artbooks but they were all purchased from online.


My display of the Studio Ghibli merchandise! I added more photos onto the walls so it doesn't look so bare now.


This is THE mug that I traveled an hour for. I know it's silly but ever since I was a little girl I desperately wanted to own this mug. I don't regret anything :P I fulfilled a childhood dream and I could not be happier. This mug was about $10 and purchased at the Donguri Garden store located in Tokyo Station.


I bought this cup at the Donguri Garden store in Tokyo Station. I didn't see this anywhere else. This was about $10-12.


I bought this bowl for about $13 at one of the Donguri Garden stores...I can't remember which one. They also sell these bowls at the Studio Ghibli Museum.


I bought this Chicken Spirit soap dispenser. I bought this at the Donguri Garden store in Tokyo Skytree for about $8. I wanted to keep it in my room so I filled it up with mango vera lotion.


I'm not sure what this is for...maybe a shower headband? In any case, I thought it looked cute and of course looks like the red headband Kiki wears. This was purchased at the Donguri Garden store in Tokyo Station for about $10.


And finally, I bought this Jiji mirror at the Donguri Garden store in Tokyo Skytree for about $13. I love the design!

I hope this post was helpful! Overall, if you are going to Japan anytime soon, I highly recommend visiting the Studio Ghibli Museum. It was an amazing experience and I definitely want to go back again :)

2 comments

  1. omg everything is soo cute i especially love the totoro socks and chicken soap dispenser c:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have yet to wear the Totoro socks but I can't wait :P

      Delete