geoGirl FYEO Feather Lash Mascara Review

I have Asian lashes, which means I have thin, stick straight lashes. As a result, I constantly buy mascara and  keep an eye out on MakeupAlley for any different brands of mascara that offer great length/volume for a decent price. I found out via MakeupAlley that a brand called "geoGirl" supposedly makes really great mascara that lengthens and thickens; it also supposedly doesn't clump and overall looks pretty natural.

I decided to buy it, and so I went out to Walmart, where I then quickly found the aisle with various geoGirl makeup product...and stared. The name of the brand itself implies that it is perhaps aimed toward younger girls, but everything looked so cheap in terms of packaging and quality. However, since it only cost $4 and had favorable reviews, I thought I might as well give it a try. And so here is my review!



Product Name: geoGirl FYEO [ForYourEyesOnly] FeatherLASH Mascara in Grey
Price: about $4 at Walmart
What It Claims: "This totally weightless mascara with Nettles and Sage makes even itty-bitty lashes look crazy long & naturally thick. Won't flake, clump, or speckle."



Packaging: I'm not going to lie, I love the packaging. I love the fact that it is made from "planet-friendly materials including renewable corn and recycled paperboard." Yeah, it doesn't look expensive and therefore may turn off some people, but who cares? If it's good for the planet, then I support it 100%! I actually like the cardboard material and the cute feather print.



How to use it: According to the packaging, "Blink, wiggle, wiggle. No U R not squeezing URself into skinny jeans. This is the secret 2 applying mascara. Just hold UR mascara wand horizontally at base of lashes & wiggle it back & forth until U reach the tips." Yikes. I'm not a fan at this brand's attempt to attract tween girls with its use of "U" and "UR".



Pros:
1. Length/Volume: I was pretty surprised that after curling my lashes and applying just one layer of mascara, my lashes seemed noticeably longer and subtly darker.
2. Natural ingredients: I love that this mascara (and apparently all geoGirl products) are free of parabens, phthalates, sulfates, propylene glycol, PABA, DEA, petrolatum, paraffin, synthetic fragrance, synthetic color, carmine, and animal ingredients (with the exception of cruelty-free honey, lanolin, and beeswax).
3. Affordable: At only $4, it's pretty cheap and won't break the bank.
4. Eco-friendly packaging: As mentioned before, the packaging is made from "planet-friendly materials including renewable corn and recycled paperboard". Love!
5. Giving back: According to the packaging, "geoGirl will donate a portion of net profits to gg-Gives to support girls' causes." I tried looking this charity up but couldn't find a lot of information on it. This was all I could find: "There's a philanthropic component as well, gg-Gives, which will donate a portion of net profits to a charity chosen by geoGirl's young customers." In any case, it's great that part of the money that consumers pay for geoGirl products will go toward helping others.

Cons:
1. The colors: Apparently geoGirl sells this mascara in black, but at my local Walmart, only 3 colors are sold- grey, blue, and brown. I wish it was easier to obtain this mascara in black! The grey color is fairly dark, but for my skimpy lashes, I'm sure that a black one would be better. Then again, this is supposed to look natural T~T So I suppose grey is acceptable but not ideal.
2. Minor clumping: Although this product claims to be clump-free, I found that there was still minor clumping.
3. Packaging: This is in regard to the text on the cardboard backing that came with the mascara. This actually isn't really a con but just something that irritated me haha. I strongly dislike the use of "U" and "UR" in general, so to anyone else it may not be a problem at all (I am an English major after all). I understand this brand is marketed toward tween girls, but still...

Overall: I give it a 8/10. I like the fact that it's eco-friendly and uses natural products, but I wish I could find the mascara in Black in stores. It does look natural, which is a plus. However, I can't overlook the fact that there is minor clumping. I will consider buying this again in the future because it' so cheap and the clumping is really minor. I still reach for this mascara for everyday makeup but for a night out, I would choose something different.

1 comment

  1. Omg I wanna try this mascara now! But I doubt my walmart carries this brand =(

    ReplyDelete